I am often being asked for my recipe for the Apple cake I make at this time of year with apples from our orchards. Our apples are a variety of old fashioned cider apples – not great for eating unless you like a sharp flavour but ideal for making a tasty cake or indeed Sunday Apple Crumble.
Here is the recipe I use.
175g caster sugar
1 orange rind
225g self-raising flour
450g apples, peeled, cored and roughly cubed
2 fresh free range eggs – beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon demerera sugar
- Grease and flour a 9 inch cake tin
- Cream the butter and sugar with the orange rind and cinnamon
- Add the egg and milk to the creamed mixture continually beating until fully mixed.
- Add the flour again beating until fully mixed.
- Stir in the cubed apples making sure they are fully coated with the cake mixture.
- Turn into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Bake in a moderate oven i.e. 180 degrees C for 40-50 mins
We have this sometimes as a hot pudding we well as a cold cake – great with some clotted cream.